- You have a master degree with focus on (analytical) chemistry in Science in Chemistry, Bioscience Engineering, Civil Engineering, Pharmaceutical sciences or equivalent. If you have a foreign diploma, we ask you to obtain equivalence recognition. You can apply for this at NARIC Vlaanderen
- You have a good knowledge of analytical chemistry (LC-MS/GC-MS)
- You have good English writing and presenting skills
- You have a good knowledge of statistical analyses and data assessment
- You are fascinated by scientific marine research
- You take initiative and can work independently
- You are social, have good communication skills, and are able to work in a team
- You are hands-on and proactive
- You work accurately and well organized
- You have an analytical mind and the skills to integrate information
- You have practical experience with the sample preparation and trace analysis of organic compounds
- Knowledge of marine environmental research is an added value
- You have knowledge of R and/or python
We offer you a 4 year PhD position funded by ILVO and in close cooperation with a UGhent.
- The doctoral scholarship is initially granted for 1 year and can be extended to 4 years, after a favorable evaluation. The scholarship is free of personal income tax, but does contribute to your social security (e.g. pension).
- The grant amount is 2,528.01 net (2,908.1 gross) for the first 2 years. For the final 2 years the amount is 2623.42 net (3017.85 bruto).
You get a varied, challenging and socially relevant job in a dynamic environment with numerous development opportunities. You work hard but can also enjoy hard thanks to flexible working hours, the possibility of hybrid work (if the position allows it) and an attractive holiday arrangement.
We are looking for a Junior scientist with a strong interest in analytical chemistry and environmental sciences. Key tasks of this PhD are developing chemical analytical methods and applying them to marine environmental samples, data assessment, and scientific reporting. You will be guided by a team of promotors and supervisors from ILVO (ILVO – Marine, ILVO – Technology and Food) and UGent (Research group Environmental Organic Chemistry and Technology – EnVOC) and will work at Ostend, Melle and Ghent.